Shoes That Fit Blog by category: Fundraisers
As we begin an exciting new year, we’d like to highlight a few of Shoes That Fit’s accomplishments and milestones made possible by our donors and volunteers in 2015:
The Village Marketing group (local Claremont, CA merchants) and community members hosted two events; Spring For Shoes and Shoes For School. These events, now in their 11th and 9th years, provided over 400 local students with new athletic shoes, socks, backpacks and assorted school supplies. Mike Manning, owner of The Last Drop Café, did a wonderful job coordinating both events.
Shoes That Fit welcomed several new board members; click here to view our complete Board of Directors roster. Also joining us was Rebecca Korduner, Development Director. We are thrilled to have these unique individuals join our team.
Through the generous financial support of funders, Shoes That Fit continued to expand our reach to help more children in need. Thank you to Nordstrom, Inc., Ludwick Family
Foundation, Annenberg Foundation, Kenneth T. and Eileen L. Norris Foundation, the Chris Paul Family Foundation and Fashion Footwear Association of New York, to name just a few.
Our volunteer Bob Montgomery of OnMedia in Des Moines, IA has been helping children in need through Shoes That Fit for 14 years! Bob and his team host a successful annual golf tournament to support their Shoes That Fit work and 2015 was no exception, raising nearly $15,000! Watch this video to see Bob and his OnMedia team of supporters in action.
Shoes That Fit has once again been accredited by the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance as having met their 20 rigorous standards for charity accountability.
As a grant recipient of the Chris Paul Family Foundation, Shoes That Fit was a featured charity at NBA player Chris Paul’s annual Celebrity Server Dinner where he, along with other NBA players and celebrities, acted as servers. Shoes That Fit Executive Director, Amy Fass and Director of Corporate Engagement, Nekeda Newell-Hall, were both in
LAPD 77th Street Community Police Station hosted Operation Shoes From Santa which delivered more than 1,000 pairs of new athletic shoes to local Los Angeles, CA children in need. Shoes That Fit was a proud partner of this fun-filled event for the holiday season!
With a team of nearly 40 runners, #TeamShoesThatFit participated in a fun Holiday Half Marathon and 5K race at Fairplex in Pomona, CA. Our team goal was to raise funds and awareness to help 1,000 local children receive new shoes during the holiday season. Over $18,000 was raised through our team’s fundraising efforts and the support of the following generous team sponsors:
Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center, Claremont Lincoln University, Jeff Stark and Associates, Claremont Sunrise Rotary, Foothill Transit, Perera Construction, The Claremont Club and Vulcan Materials. Also appreciated were the In-Kind donations from Claremont Craft Ales and Trader Joe’s-Claremont.
You know the importance of new shoes that fit. Help us reach more children by becoming a Solemate today! You can help children attend school without the embarrassment and pain of wearing shoes that are filled with holes by setting up an automated monthly donation; it’s secure, tax-deductible and an easy way to make a big impact throughout the year. Get started by clicking here. Be sure to check the box “I want to be a monthly donor to Shoes That Fit” or contact our office today.
From now through December 24th, you can purchase a $10 Giving Card from any U.S. Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack store to help a local child in need!
Since 2010, Shoes That Fit has partnered with Nordstrom and New Balance to provide more than 68,000 pairs of new athletic shoes to U.S. schoolchildren. With your help, 20,000 students across the country can receive desperately needed new shoes this holiday season. 100% of your purchase of a $10 Giving Card goes directly toward a new pair of New Balance athletic shoes for a child in need in your community.
Find your nearest Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack store. Not near a store? No problem! Make a purchase online at www.shoesthatfit.org
- We all know about Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but do you know about #GivingTuesday on December 1st? It’s a National Day of Giving, so mark your calendar and donate a new pair of athletic shoes, socks or a gift in any amount to help children in need through Shoes That Fit. You can also visit any Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack store in the U.S. to purchase a $10 giving card which helps provide a new pair of New Balance shoes to a local child in need.
- NBA Star Chris Paul recently donated $25,000 during his Celebrity Server dinner! It was an honor for Shoes That Fit to be a featured charity and a recipient of this generous contribution from the Chris Paul Family Foundation.
- #TeamShoesThatFit is in training for a fun Holiday Half Marathon and 5K at Fairplex in Pomona, CA Dec. 12-13, 2015. Our team goal is to raise 1,000 pairs of shoes for local SoCal children in need and you can help by joining our team as a runner, walker or as a team supporter. For more information, click here! Sponsorship opportunities still available! Contact our office today.
- LAPD 77th Street Community Police Station is hosting Operation Shoes From Santa on December 17th and Shoes That Fit is proud to be a co-sponsor. More than one thousand children in need will receive the gift of new shoes this holiday season. You can help by donating a new pair of athletic shoes or make a donation online today!
- Children in Chicago, IL and Ontario, CA will be helped through the Shoes That Fit program thanks to a generous contribution from Porsche Cars North America.
- Become a Solemate! You can easily help students in need with your secure automated monthly donation of any amount that fits within your giving goals. Get started here or contact our office today.
- Our friends and neighbors at Claremont Craft Ales (CA) are hosting their 3rd anniversary celebration July 11th and donating a portion of proceeds to Shoes That Fit. Tickets available today!
- Many thanks to John Ems, owner of Sunshine Windows in Upland, CA for generously donating his warehouse to temporarily store our supply of shoes during the remodel of our emergency warehouse. Members of Upland-foothill Kiwanis, Inland Valley Hope Partners and other volunteers transported nearly 300 cases of new shoes back into our warehouse. We are extremely grateful for the many volunteer hours contributed by our supporters to make this transition a smooth one. The redesign of our warehouse was made possible through a generous grant from The Ahmanson Foundation, and the reconfigured space allows us to store many more shoes, increasing our ability to serve children living in poverty in Southern California.
- Rack Room Shoes kicks off their annual Back-To-School campaign July 14th to help children in need through Shoes That Fit. Every dollar raised at each of the stores stays in the local community to help provide a new pair of athletic shoes to students in need. This year, Rack Room will match 100% of your donation! Visit their website to find a store near you.
- The Fashion Footwear Association of New York hosted their annual Industry Event in June, a cocktail party kicking off the New York Shoe Show. They once again chose to generously donate proceeds from this event to Shoes That Fit, totaling $20,000!
- Village Marketing Group (Claremont, CA) continues their tradition of helping 300 local Southern California students return to school ready to learn in confidence, comfort and with dignity in new shoes that fit. Through the annual Back-To-School campaign, July 10-26, 2015 new backpacks are labeled with a child’s name, age and shoe size, and then distributed to participating merchants throughout downtown Claremont. Community members can check-out a backpack, fill it with a new pair of athletic shoes, socks and other school supplies, and then return the items to the merchant. A huge shout of thanks to Back-To-School campaign organizer and owner of The Last Drop Café, Mike Manning, who collects all of the bags for distribution to our school liaisons in time to give to the students for the new school year! For more details, please visit http://www.thevillageclaremont.com/shoes.html or contact STF@TheLastDropCafe.com
- Our outstanding volunteer, Bob Montgomery and his team at OnMedia Ad Sales-Mediacom tee off Thursday July 23rd, 2015 for the Subway-Shoes That Fit Annual Charity Golf Outing. Proceeds benefit our Iowa chapter of Shoes That Fit, now in their 14th year helping children in need in Iowa thanks to Bob! $100 per golfer (includes golf, cart, lunch and prizes) OR ask about the new STF 500 Club! Register with Dave Lund, OnMedia firstname.lastname@example.org Click here for event flyer.
- Tickets are still available for Concerts Under the Stars at the Hafif estate in La Verne, CA! Gather your family, friends, clients or coworkers for an evening of live music, great food and fun at this fundraiser. 100% of your tax-deductible $55 donation supports the work of Shoes That Fit. Concert dates are: June 13, June 20 or July 11th. Call our office today for tickets!: 909-482-0050
- Still looking for that special gift for Dads and Grads? When you shop AmazonSmile or GoodShop, a portion of your eligible purchases will be donated to Shoes That Fit when you use these links: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/95-4425565 and http://www.goodsearch.com/goodshop
- Thanks to everyone who joined us at The Brick Market and Deli in Pomona, CA for a community fundraiser. It was wonderful to meet so many of our supporters!
- Blues N’ Brews Craft Beer Walk is back! For only $45, you can stroll through the Claremont Village (CA) and choose from over 40 craft beer and food tasting sites. A portion of the proceeds is donated to Shoes That Fit and we’ll be on site checking in guests, so come by the train depot and say hello.
- Preparation for a Holiday Half Marathon and 5K December 12-13 at Fairplex in Pomona, CA are well underway. If you’d like the opportunity to become a sponsor or join #TeamShoesThatFit to help raise awareness and funds, contact our office today. For complete race info, visit the official race website: http://www.runholidayhalf.com/
- Keep up with all the latest ‘shoes news’ by signing up for eNews, join us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
- Join us for a fundraiser at The Brick, your neighborhood deli in Pomona, CA on Wednesday, May 27 between 2pm-7pm. Bring this flyer and 20% of your purchase is donated to Shoes That Fit to help children through our program.
- Shopping for Dads and Grads? Use AmazonSmile or GoodShop and a portion of your eligible purchases will be donated to Shoes That Fit when you use these links: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/95-4425565 and http://www.goodsearch.com/goodshop
- Concerts Under the Stars at the Hafif estate in La Verne, CA are now available! Join us on June 13, June 20 or July 11th for a fun-filled evening of live music, great food from Walter’s Restaurant and good friends! Your $55 tax-deductible donation includes all of the above plus free parking and shuttle service. Call our office for ticket availability: 909-482-0050
- #TeamShoesThatFit is gearing up for this year’s Holiday Half Marathon and 5K at Fairplex in Pomona, CA! If you’d like to become a sponsor or join our team to help raise awareness and funds, contact our office today.
- SolarCity, America’s largest solar provider, will donate $250 to Shoes That Fit for each new customer who signs up with them! For your free consultation, click on this link: http://solar.solarcity.com/microsite/network/?referrerid=a0p1400000G88b6AAB
- We'd like to extend a very warm welcome to Osram Sylvania, Inc. as our newest volunteer sponsor group. They have officially launched the Shoes That Fit program in New Hampshire, making this the 46th state children are being helped in through our program!
- Sign up for eNews today to keep up with all the latest Shoes That Fit news, join us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
You can help kids in need throughout Iowa stay warm and dry this winter by participating in the annual Shoes That Fit shoes, boots and coats drive sponsored by our volunteers at Mediacom and OnMedia Ad Sales. With the help of local business partners, ‘needs’ cards are filled by community members and can be picked up at the following locations in Marshalltown, Ames, Ankeny, and Des Moines: McGregor's Furniture, Jensen Ford, United Bank and Trust, and Independent Insurance, Deery Brothers of Ames, First National Bank or NASH.
Rack Room Shoes and their customers completed another successful Back-To-School campaign to provide new athletic shoes to children in need. Customers donated $5 or more in-store and online and received a canvas, colorable Shoes That Fit tote bag. All proceeds went toward local Shoes That Fit programs sponsored by Rack Room Shoes. Since 2010, Rack Room Shoes has raised over $600,000 to help children in need receive new shoes for school!
Shoes That Fit is participating in our first-ever fundraising Holiday Half Marathon and 5K Run/Walk at Fairplex in Pomona, CA December 13 and 14! Thank you to our race team members for taking on this exciting challenge. Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center generously contributed a $5,000 sponsorship! If you’d like to sponsor the Shoes That Fit team, please contact email@example.com If you’d like to volunteer with us on December 14 from 10am-2pm, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our friends at Village Marketing Group, hosts of the Claremont Village Wine Walk donated a portion of the proceeds from this fun annual event totaling $1,100! We appreciate everyone who participated and volunteered during this event.
Through a generous $75,000 grant donation from the Ahmanson Foundation, we will begin expansion of our emergency warehouse in Claremont, CA. This expansion project will help us to better serve children in need in Southern CA communities!
It’s never too early to think about helping children in need for the holiday season! Now in our fifth year, Shoes That Fit is proud to partner with Nordstrom to provide over 15,000 children in need across the country with New Balance athletic shoes! Check out this video for a sneak peek!
Because of the many positive online reviews our supporters, volunteers and school liaisons gave, Shoes That Fit has earned the distinction of being a Top Rated Nonprofit by Great Nonprofits.org!
The Mazda Foundation continues to support the work of Shoes That Fit! We truly appreciate their recent $10K grant which helps us expand our reach to more children in need across the country.
Last but certainly not least, we’d like to welcome Nekeda Newell-Hall to the Shoes That Fit team as Director of Corporate Engagement! Nekeda is a wonderful addition to our staff; you can learn more about her here.
• A 3-day fundraising event called ‘Toos That Fit’ is being hosted by Victorious Gallery beginning Friday August 8th through Sunday August 10th! The newly opened and ONLY tattoo parlor in the city of Claremont, CA is generously donating 20% of all artwork during this event. If getting ‘inked’ is already on your agenda, why not help children in need at the same time? Visit Victorious Gallery’s Facebook page for more info!
• Temperatures are still soaring here in SoCal, but our Shoes That Fit team is forming now for a fundraising Holiday Half Marathon and 5K Run/Walk at Pomona Fairplex (CA) December 13 and 14! It’s not too late to join the team at a discounted entry rate, but entry fees will increase as the race nears. Here’s how to get started:
1. Start your registration by clicking on Shoes That Fit’s Donate Now button to submit your race entry fee: Discounted rate of $85 for the Half Marathon OR $30 for the 5K Run/Walk until Sept.15
2. Wait for your entry fee confirmation letter and email from Shoes That Fit which will include your special charity promo code.
3. Go to the Holiday Half Marathon website and register yourself for the race using your special charity promo code to indicate you’ve already submitted your fee.
4. Before the run, gather support from your family, friends and coworkers to sponsor you as a member of this inaugural Shoes That Fit team. You will have access to MyCharityofChoice.com to set-up your own fundraising page!
If you have any questions about the race or starting your registration, please contact Barbara@shoesthatfit.org or call our office for details!
• It’s never too late to go solar for clean, more affordable energy and Shoes That Fit is now a Solar City network partner! When you install your solar system through Solar City, they will donate $250 to help kids in need through Shoes That Fit! BONUS FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST: Our Solar City account rep Jeff will be donating an extra $100 for every installation! To get more information and a free quote, click on this link today.
• Time for Wine! The Claremont Village Wine Walk (CA) is being held on Sept. 13, 2014 from 4pm – 8pm. Tickets on sale now. 38 Village businesses participate in this wine tasting, food sampling, live music extravaganza! The best part: a portion of the proceeds from this event will be donated to Shoes That Fit to help local children in need!
• If you’re clearing out your closet to make room for fall fashions, consider donating your designer clothing, accessories and shoes to Fashion Project and designating Shoes That Fit as the charity you’d like to support. Fashion Project resells your donated items for maximum value and proceeds from your items are granted to Shoes That Fit. It’s fashion as a force for good. You can also earn a $40 Nordstrom Gift Cards with your eligible donation!
• The annual Shoes That Fit Charity Golf Tournament took place on July 28th and proves to be a very successful fundraising event each year, thanks to Bob Montgomery and his team of dedicated volunteers at OnMedia Ad Sales in Des Moines, IA. Funds raised from this fun day of golf are used to provide new shoes and other cold weather necessities to children in need this year.
• Claremont Craft Ales held their 2nd anniversary celebration on July 26 and donated $1,000 of the day’s proceeds to Shoes That Fit! Generous patrons dropped off 59 packages of socks for our emergency warehouse before heading next door for food, friends, fun and craft beer! Thanks to everyone who attended and to owners Emily and Simon for their continued support of Shoes That Fit.
• Rack Room Shoes is offering a complimentary tote bag when you donate $5 or more to their Shoes That Fit efforts. Since 2007, they have raised and delivered more than 89,000 pairs of new shoes to children in need living in the communities surrounding each of their 385 stores.
• Shoes That Fit For School, an annual campaign hosted by Village Marketing Group and local Claremont (CA) merchants, did an outstanding job of making sure nearly 250 children in need will return to school in a few weeks with new shoes, socks, and backpacks filled with essential school supplies! Special thanks to coordinator Mike, owner of The Last Drop Café, for making this a successful event!
With summer in full swing, we know you're enjoying the warm weather and getting some rest and relaxation, so here are just a few of the easy and fun things you can do to continue helping children in need through Shoes That Fit!
• Village Marketing Group is kicking off their annual Shoes That Fit For School event with the help of local downtown Claremont (CA) merchants July 11 through July 28th! Backpacks will be available for you to sign-out from participating merchants, fill with a new pair of athletic shoes, socks and school supplies, then return the backpack to where you picked it up! It’s that easy! Your participation in this event will help a child return to school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play.
• Thinking about going solar for clean, more affordable energy? Shoes That Fit is now a network partner with Solar City! To get more information and a free quote, click on this link. Solar City will donate $250 upon completion of your solar system installation.
• Our friends and neighbors at Claremont Craft Ales are hosting their 2nd anniversary celebration July 26 and donating a portion of the proceeds to Shoes That Fit! Food, Fun and craft beer for your enjoyment. There are two sessions to choose from: 12pm-4pm OR 5pm-9pm Get your tickets today!
• Bob Montgomery and his team of everyday heroes at OnMedia Ad Sales in Des Moines, IA hosting their annual Shoes That Fit charity golf tournament July 28th. Tee-off at Tournament Club of Iowa to help children in need receive new shoes and other cold weather necessities! To register, call: 515-697-6793 Registration at 8am – Shot gun start at 9am. $100 per golfer (includes golf, cart, lunch and prizes)
• We’re very excited to announce that Shoes That Fit teams forming now for a fundraising Holiday Half Marathon and 5K Run/Walk at Pomona Fairplex (CA) December 14 and 15!
Here’s how to get started:
1. Start your registration by clicking on Shoes That Fit’s Donate Now page to submit your race entry fee: Discounted rate of $85 for the Half Marathon OR $30 for the 5K Run/Walk until Sept.15
2. Wait for your entry fee confirmation letter and email from Shoes That Fit which will include your special charity promo code.
3. Go to the Holiday Half Marathon website and register yourself for the race using your special charity promo code to indicate you’ve already submitted your fee.
4. Before the run, gather support from your family, friends and coworkers to sponsor you in this inaugural Shoes That Fit team. You will have access to your own fundraising page on MyCharityofChoice.com
If you have any questions about the race or starting your registration, please contact Barbara@shoesthatfit.org or call our office for details!
• Shoes That Fit is hiring! If you’d like to help children in need, possess professional fundraising experience and want to work part-time, please view the complete job description here for details.
Here’s a brief update on the latest greatest news from Shoes That Fit! Your support through events and fundraisers make it possible for us to reach children in need across the country. Thank You!
• Tickets are available now for the annual fundraiser Claremont Craft Beer Walk, otherwise known as ‘Blues & Brews.’ Stroll down the streets of downtown Claremont while listening to great bands & stopping in to any of 30 delightful shops designated as tasting sites to enjoy the many offerings of delicious appetizers and local craft beers!
• It’s never too early to think about fall fashions! Make room in your closet for those new pieces by donating your gently worn designer clothing, shoes and accessories to Fashion Project. Designate Shoes That Fit as your charity, Fashion Project makes your items available for sale through their website and then donates a portion of the proceeds back to Shoes That Fit! Added bonus: Nordstrom is offering a $40 gift card when you donate your items to support our charity!
• Are you a runner who cares about kids in need? Join the first-ever Shoes That Fit team for a Holiday Half Marathon or Holiday 5K in December at Pomona Fairplex (CA). Contact Barbara@shoesthatfit.org to join the fun!
There are many ways to support Shoes That Fit. Here are just a few reminders about some of them:
- Earn all summer long by naming Shoes That Fit as the charity you support with eScrip (Electronic Scrip)
- Donate your vehicle or boat (running or not) to Shoes That Fit through Cars4Causes
- When shopping at Amazon, use AmazonSmile and choose Shoes That Fit as your charity; a percentage of your purchase is donated to us
- Browse the internet using GoodSearch or shop online through GoodShop and a penny is donated each time you search. May not seem like a lot, but those pennies for Shoes That Fit add up quickly for something you’ll be doing anyway!
- Follow us on Facebook
- Find us on Twitter
- Watch us on YouTube
- Join us on LinkedIn
If you’re hosting a fundraiser or event in support of Shoes That Fit, please email Barbara@shoesthatfit the details so we can share the info with our visitors!
Thank you for taking time to catch up with all the latest news here at Shoes That Fit! As longtime supporter and recently appointed Executive Director Amy Fass smoothly transitions into her new role, our focus remains on continuing to expand our outreach efforts and establish new school programs in areas where the need is greatest. Your gift to Shoes That Fit helps makes this possible. Having compiled our most recent statistical data, here are just a few milestones reached in 2013:
• Shoes That Fit provided shoes at 1,854 schools in 45 states and the District of Columbia.
• More than 126,000 new shoes and other necessities were raised and distributed.
• Nordstrom and New Balance provided 20,000 new shoes through the Giving Tree campaign.
• DaVita’s nationwide "Shoes-a-palooza" Campaign raised over 13,000 new pairs of shoes
• We earned a fourth consecutive 4-STAR rating from Charity Navigator which is considered an "exceptional" charity designation.
• Rack Room Shoes provided new shoes for nearly 12,000 children in 24 states
If you’re considering spring cleaning, now you can clear out those closets and support the work of Shoes That Fit, too! Fashion Project is an exciting new way to donate your gently worn designer clothing, shoes and accessories. Choose Shoes That Fit as your designated charity and Fashion Project donates a portion of the sale of your items back to us! Visit their website today at www.FashionProject
Join our volunteers at Clark County Law Foundation for wine, appetizers and great conversations at their ‘Sippin for Shoes That Fit’ event May 6 at Echo and Rig Butcher & Steakhouse on Rampart Blvd., Las Vegas! Call Clark County Law Foundation at 702-333-8277 or purchase tickets online at: http://www.clarkcountylawfoundation.org/community-service/
Volunteers at Southern CA Edison-Irwindale’s IT Department collected 350 pairs of new athletic shoes in less than 1 month! The smiles on the faces of children who received them were electric!
Our corporate partners at DaVita, Inc. continue to amaze us with their enthusiasm for our program. They recently provided 944 pairs of new shoes to children in need in Orange County, CA!
The Village Marketing Group in Claremont, CA once again provided nearly 200 local schoolchildren with new shoes, socks and other goodies during their annual Spring For Shoes campaign. Special thanks to owner Mike of The Last Drop Café for coordinating this year’s event and to all participating merchants and community members who supported this effort.
Save The Date: June 28th 4pm-8pm Claremont Village Blues & Brews Craft Beer Walk (CA). This annual fundraiser always a sold-out event! Tickets Now On Sale! http://www.claremontbluesandbrews.com/
Roni Lomeli will be stepping down as executive director of Shoes That Fit at the end of January 2014. "Roni has been the award-winning leader and driving force behind Shoes That Fit's extraordinary success," said Shoes That Fit board member and former chair Ralph Shapira. With many accolades and awards bestowed upon her over the years, including her most recent Town & Country magazine and Longines watches’ prestigious "Women Who Make a Difference" award, Roni is credited for building Shoes That Fit into a national charity that has given over 1 million pairs of new shoes and other needed items to children in need in hundreds of communities and schools across America. Here is a message from Roni to all of our donors, volunteers and supporters.
Letter from the Executive Director
Dear Friends of Shoes That Fit,
It is with mixed emotions that I announce my retirement as the Executive Director for Shoes That Fit effective January 31, 2014. While I am happy to begin a new chapter of my life, I am saddened to leave the role that I have cherished and enjoyed for more than a decade. I’ve found that the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work and love doing it. It has certainly been rewarding to “make a difference” in so many children’s lives and to have the opportunity to meet and work with so many wonderful people who share our vision that every child deserves shoes that fit.
I learned that my role at Shoes That Fit was about creating lasting relationships with friends, volunteers and donors, bringing them into the Shoes That Fit family, and then watching as they came to realize that their support could change young lives forever.
I believe now is the right time for me to move on. I am leaving Shoes That Fit in solid position to continue making a difference for the children we serve. Last year’s milestone of having provided over one million pairs of shoes and other critical items to children in need was very poignant and something I will always cherish.
The Shoes That Fit Board of Directors has decided to appoint Amy Fass as my successor. I am very pleased with their decision as Amy brings a fresh perspective to the organization and will continue to further our mission. Amy is a longtime supporter of Shoes That Fit and she has been working with the organization as a consultant for the past year. Amy is committed to the mission of Shoes That Fit and shares the same passion and excitement for helping the children we serve.
Thank you for your support and friendship over the years. I will continue to be involved as a volunteer and supporter of Shoes That Fit forever. Shoes That Fit will always be near and dear to my heart.
Even though the holiday season is in full swing, there’s still plenty of time for you to help children in need through the Shoes That Fit program! Here are just a few ways you can give a meaningful gift that gives back to children in need across the U.S. this year.
- Nordstrom’s Holiday Giving Tree program runs through December 24th - We invite you to visit any Nordstrom or selected Nordstrom Rack in the U.S. to purchase a $10 tag that will help donate a new pair of New Balance athletic shoes to children in the local community through the Shoes That Fit program.
- Merchants in downtown Claremont Village (CA) hosting a Sock Walk through December. Donate a new package of socks for children in need & pick up a little something extra for yourself at any one of the unique Village shops. Click here for a complete list of drop-off locations.
- Help children in Newton, Marshalltown, Fort Dodge and Ames, IA by picking up a donor card with a child's name, age & shoe size, purchase the shoes & drop off at one of many drop-off locations. Our volunteers at OnMedia Ad Sales in Des Moines, IA will make sure children in need receive your donation of new shoes.
- Give a gift that gives back by shopping AmazonSmile and choosing Shoes That Fit as your charity before shopping. AmazonSmile Foundation donates 0.5% of your purchases to Shoes That Fit!
We love to hear from our supporters, so please contact us with any comments, questions or inspiring stories!
First and foremost, THANK YOU to everyone who voted for Shoes That Fit to help us win a $75,000 grant from DSW's Shoe Lovers Care contest on Facebook earlier this month!
Although we didn't win this grant, your support and dedication to Shoes That Fit and the children we serve is invaluable to us! Your 'Votes' and 'Shares' helped spread awareness about who we are and what we do for children across the U.S. Many of you told us you are not on Facebook but still asked 'How can I help?' We are truly grateful to you for forwarding our email requests for help to your friends, family & coworkers.
With the official start of summer came a mini-windfall of good news!
Fashion Footwear Association of New York (FFaNY) hosts the New York Shoe Expo, home to exhibitions of over 300 footwear manufacturers representing 800 fashion footwear brands. $20,000 was donated to us during their annual Industry Cocktail Party kicking off the shoe expo in early June
Irwindale Chamber of Commerce held a month long shoe drive and raffle drawing which resulted in $755, 26 pairs of shoes and a chance to win 'Beer For a Year' to adults making a monetary contribution through the Chamber, compliments of our fellow chamber member MillerCoors
$10,000 grant was awarded to us from our friends at Inland Empire United Way in support of our programs in Southern California
One of our California volunteers, Kathi Balousek, was honored for her committment to children as 'Outstanding Bay Area Catholic Woman' Congratulations, Kathi!
But wait! There's more! Coming soon are 'FUN'raisers throughout the Southland and beyond:
Claremont Blues & Brews Craft Beer Walk June 29th 4-8pm - Sample craft beer, good food, great live music throughout The Village. Advance tickets available!
Concerts Under the Stars is back again this year! July 13th & July 20th dates still available so call or email us today for tickets. 100% of your $55 donation goes directly to Shoes That Fit. The entire cost of this magical evening which includes appetizers, dinner, dessert and of course live entertainment is generously donated by the Hafif Family Foundation!
July 17th is the annual OnMedia Cable Ad Sales golf tournament in support of the Des Moines, IA chapter of Shoes That Fit!
Scheels Shoes That Fit 10K Run/Walk August 24th, West Des MOines, IA - Registration now open
Last but not least, if you know of an event to benefit any of our Shoes That Fit chapters across the country, please contact us with the info so we can share with our supporters!
Many of us will choose to go barefoot this summer, but many children in need will have no choice. Thank you for believing as we do, that every child deserves shoes that fit!
With the unofficial kick-off to summer just a few days away, we wanted to update you on all the wonderful things our supporters are doing in the coming months to continue helping children in need receive new shoes. Many of our volunteer chapters around the country have been working tirelessly throughout the school year to ensure that children attend school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play. With summer fast approaching, many of these same students will attend summer school and even begin the new school year in the fall wearing the same shoes they are wearing right now! Many of our supporters ask, 'What can I do to help?' Here are some simple and fun ways you can contribute to Shoes That Fit so mark your calendars now!
Irwindale Chamber of Commerce hosting a shoe drive through June 13th. Each donation of a new pair of athletic shoes or $20 gift through the Chamber enters you in a drawing to win 'Beer For A Year' compliments of MillerCoors!
Online shopping through GoodSearch - It’s easy. Just pick a cause you care about (hopefully, Shoes That Fit!) Then, as you go about your daily online activities like searching or shopping, you’ll be raising money for our cause – at no cost to you!
Join us in the Claremont Village (CA) June 29th for 'Blues & Brews' Craft Beer Walk & enjoy live music & delicious food at over 30 Village businesses! A portion of the proceeds from this event benefit Shoes That Fit!
The Hafif Family Foundation is once again hosting a series of Concerts Under the Stars & generously absorbing the entire cost of the event, leaving 100% of each $55 ticket donation to Shoes That Fit when purchased through us! Dates are: July 13, July 20 & August 10 - appetizers, dinner, drinks & live music on the breathtaking grounds of the Hafif Estate.
If you're a runner, register for the annual Scheels Shoes That Fit 10K taking place August 24th in West Des Moines, IA. $5 of each registration fee donated to our volunteer chapter at OnMedia Ad Sales!
Are you hosting any parties this summer? Consider a party with a purpose - invite your guests to support Shoes That Fit by bringing a new pair of athletic shoes to donate to our emergency warehouse in CA or make a small contribution safely & securely online in honor of the host (that's you!)
Coming soon: we are a finalist in DSW Shoe Lovers Care program, Leave Your Mark! You can help Shoes That Fit win $75,000 beginning June 6 through June 19! Simply vote for Shoes That Fit on DSW's Facebook page & share the news with your Facebook friends. Every vote counts!
There are many ways for you to keep in touch with all the goings on at Shoes That Fit; Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, sign up for eNews or follow us on LinkedIn.
Thank you for believing as we do that every child deserves shoes that fit.
A new campaign launched on Modern Woodmen of America's facebook page will benefit Shoes That Fit with a donation up to $10,000! Modern Woodmen, a fraternal financial services organization since 1893, will donate $1 to Shoes That Fit for every new 'LIKE' they receive on their fan page. The goal is to reach 10,000 fans by the end of 2012.
"This campaign ties closely to the mission of Modern Woodmen - to improve quality of life for members and communities," said Kim Woodward, Corporate Communications. "As a fraternal financial services organization, our members across the country work to improve communities and help people. Donating to Shoes That Fit is an online version of these fraternal programs!"
If you've been wanting to help children in need through Shoes That Fit, here's your chance. It only takes a minute and costs you the click of your mouse.
Here's what you can do: Visit Modern Woodmen of America's facebook page and click the tab that says 'LIKE Shoes That Fit' then click the 'LIKE' button. That's it!
You can also help by spreading the word about this campaign to your facebook friends to help us reach the $10,000 goal. Help children in need receive new shoes through Shoes That Fit with a simple click of your mouse! What could be easier? Thank You for believing as we do that every child deserves shoes that fit.
Happy Holidays from the Shoes That Fit staff! As this year comes to an end, we wanted to say Thank You to all our volunteers, donors & school liaisons for their unwavering support of our mission to provide new shoes to children in need who wouldn't otherwise have them. Your support allows these deserving children to attend school in comfort and with dignity. As we head into 2012, we look forward to our 20 Year Anniversary which we will celebrate in April & to the donation of our 1 Millionth pair of shoes! We hope you'll continue to rally around the important work being done through our programs across the U.S. and look forward to another exciting year at Shoes That Fit!
Roni, Michelle, Lee and Barbara
With temperatures soaring here in Southern California, we are pleased to announce the number of new shoes given to children through Shoes That Fit programs is also soaring! Our program manager Lee Kane has been compiling statistics from our volunteers across the country and we are inching closer to the donation of our 1 millionth pair of shoes! As of today, Shoes That Fit has donated 989,636 pairs of new shoes & other items to children in need. Our programs are in over 1,900 schools across 40 states and growing! We will definitely be celebrating this milestone at our Sneaker Ball in April 2012!
Concerts Under the Stars fundraiser will begin July 30th & continue on August 6th & August 13th. 100% of your $55 donation goes to Shoes That Fit thanks to the Hafif Family Foundation who underwrites the entire cost of the event! Where else can you enjoy appetizers, dinner, dessert & live entertainment in a beautiful 150 acre estate nestled in the foothills of La Verne, CA?
MillerCoors will be sponsoring a shoe drive July 25th-August 8th at their Irwindale, CA facility. They have already helped children in need through their partnership with Shoes That Fit & the Irwindale Chamber of Commerce!
There are many ways you can keep up with Shoes That Fit:
With National Running Day on June 1st, the New York Road Runners Club has generously decided to raise funds for Shoes That Fit! You can participate in one of two ways:
1) Go for a jog on June 1st and stop at a charity check-in point. When you do, National Running Day partners will donate $1 to Shoes That Fit
2) Be part of the fundraising team by donating directly through the National Running Day Crowdrise page, created by New York Road Runners Club.
New York Road Runners youth programs promote children's fitness, character development, and personal achievement by bringing free and low-cost running programs to schools and community centers across the country.
Shoes That Fit is getting closer to reaching our goal of providing 1 million pairs of shoes to kids in need thanks, in part, to Rack Room Shoes!
Since Shoes That Fit partnered with Rack Room Shoe Stores during the fall of 2007, nearly 63,000 pairs of new shoes have been provided to children in need through Rack Room's volunteer efforts. All 390 stores across 26 states have been involved in raising funds to support the Shoes That Fit program in the communities each store serves. Here's just a sample of the many letters of appreciation received from a Principal at one the many schools helped by Rack Room:
"After the new shoes were distributed, a young girl came to me and gave me her empty shoe box. I asked her how she enjoyed her new shoes and a big smile came across her face. As she sat down, I tossed the box into a nearby recycling container. Fifteen minutes or so later I saw her with the box again as she walked into classroom. When I asked her if there was something in the box that she needed, she shared with me that she wanted to keep the box. She had never received a new pair of shoes before and had no idea that new shoes came in boxes. That box was truly special to her...keep up the good work. You are making a difference in the lives of children."
The holidays are here again. Bright lights, homemade cookies and the warmth of family and friends make us grateful for all we have. But not everyone is having a happy holiday this year. Today, more than ever, there are families who need your help. Shoes are one of the most expensive necessities parents or guardians must provide for their children and if a family has to choose between food on the table or replacing their children's worn and ripped shoes, the stomachs usually win.
You, our generous contributors and Shoes That Fit volunteers are making a difference for these children every day. By helping even just a few kids, you are easing the burden on your entire community. Times are hard and you are going above and beyond to make things better in your own backyard. It's not too late to help a child in need this holiday season.
Thank You for all you do through Shoes That Fit. I wish you a warm and wonderful holiday season and all the best in the new year.
As we head into this holiday season, Shoes That Fit is thankful for all of our wonderful contributors and volunteers! Thousands of children across the country are given hope through the simple gift of a new pair of shoes and YOU make that possible.
There are many easy ways you can continue to help kids in need while preparing for the holidays. Here are just a few ideas to get you started…
· While shopping at ANY Nordstrom store across the U.S., pick a gift tag from the “Giving Tree” to help a local child receive a new pair of New Balance shoes.
· For each $50 donation in honor of someone, we will send one plain wrapped empty shoe box to your loved one with a note from you explaining that the box is empty because shoes were given to a child in need in their name. Also included will be a thank you note we received from a child helped by Shoes That Fit.
· Your little one will be thrilled with the story of “Flip Flop Flo, the Know-It-All” written by Gloria Barone Rosanio. Sales of this wonderful children’s book benefit Shoes That Fit!
· Vons & Safeway grocery stores throughout California now carry Causes Gift Cards! This card allows you to give the gift of giving; whomever you give them to can make a donation to any non-profit in the U.S. including Shoes That Fit! (purchase of the gift card is tax deductible).
· Instead of the usual workplace gift exchange or “secret Santa”, ask your coworkers to purchase a new pair of athletic shoes or make a small donation to Shoes That Fit.
Help us celebrate our 20th Anniversary and 1 million pairs of shoes!
Can you believe it? Shoes That Fit has been providing new shoes to children in need across the U.S. since 1992! As we approach our 20th anniversary & donation of our 1 millionth pair of shoes, we look to you, our loyal contributors for inspiration.
We will be celebrating these milestones in April 2012 and we need your help in giving our gala a name. Please submit your idea for our event name which best describes both our 20th anniversary & the milestone of providing our 1 millionth pair of shoes.
The winning entry will receive 2 free tickets to our gala!
Please submit your entry by November 30th, 2010 to email@example.com with the subject line “Name Our Gala”
Shoes That Fit chapters across the country (35 states, to be exact) are gearing up for the fall season of helping children in need receive new shoes for school. We are so excited about all the children attending school in comfort and with dignity because of our volunteer force and generous community members like YOU!
- Here in our Emergency Warehouse, we received over 250 pairs of new shoes from our friends at California Sporting Goods Association, the non-profit arm of Division Six Sports and Forde-McGovern & Associates.
- Village Marketing Group helped 400 children return to school with new shoes, socks, backpacks & school supplies!
Don't miss these upcoming events:
- Ruby's Diner in Newport Beach, CA will hold a Shoes That Fit "Fun"Raiser Friday, Sept.24th, 7am-10pm. They will donate 20% of all food sales to us when you present this flyer!
- Justice Jog 2010 in Century City, CA Sunday, Oct. 17, 8am-10:30am Support Shoes That Fit through this 5K Walk/Run hosted by Greater Los Angeles Association of Legal Administrators. More info & registration at glaala.org!
Blues & Brews is a new fundraiser happening in the Claremont Village July 3rd! For only $30 (advance ticket purchase), you can stroll in to over 25 businesses hosting beer tasting from local artisans throughout the Village and listen to some blues and jazz bands, too! Shoes That Fit staff, myself included, will be on hand to greet you at the check-in station at the Train Depot. Come on by & say “Hi”. You’ll be helping Shoes That Fit help kids in need and we'd love to meet you, our generous supporters. See you in the Village!
Remember those warm spring afternoons sitting in front of your home with a
folding table, a few chairs and your friends flagging neighbors down, trying
to interest them in an ice cold glass of fresh squeezed lemonade for only 25
Now you can relive those fun filled afternoons and help children in need simply by hosting a lemonade stand during Big Sunday weekend May 1-2! Big Sunday is an annual community building event when volunteers of every age and from every walk of life work together throughout California to help others.
This year, Shoes That Fit has been chosen to be one of five charity beneficiaries of the 4th Annual When Life Gives You Lemons Make a Lemonade Stand project. Beginning April 1, you can sign up online by clicking "Project Sign Up" or contact the Big Sunday Lemonade Stand Coordinator Melissa Toy Ozeas.
What could be an easier or more fun way to help a child in need? After all, doesn't every child deserve shoes that fit?
1420 N. Claremont Blvd.Suite 204A, Claremont, CA 91711
Toll Free: (888) 715-4333 Phone#: (909) 482-0050 Fax: (909) 482-0085