Shoes That Fit Blog by category: Fundraisers
With summer in full swing, we know you're enjoying the warm weather and getting some rest and relaxation, so here are just a few of the easy and fun things you can do to continue helping children in need through Shoes That Fit!
• Village Marketing Group is kicking off their annual Shoes That Fit For School event with the help of local downtown Claremont (CA) merchants July 11 through July 28th! Backpacks will be available for you to sign-out from participating merchants, fill with a new pair of athletic shoes, socks and school supplies, then return the backpack to where you picked it up! It’s that easy! Your participation in this event will help a child return to school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play.
• Thinking about going solar for clean, more affordable energy? Shoes That Fit is now a network partner with Solar City! To get more information and a free quote, click on this link. Solar City will donate $250 upon completion of your solar system installation.
• Our friends and neighbors at Claremont Craft Ales are hosting their 2nd anniversary celebration July 26 and donating a portion of the proceeds to Shoes That Fit! Food, Fun and craft beer for your enjoyment. There are two sessions to choose from: 12pm-4pm OR 5pm-9pm Get your tickets today!
• Bob Montgomery and his team of everyday heroes at OnMedia Ad Sales in Des Moines, IA hosting their annual Shoes That Fit charity golf tournament July 28th. Tee-off at Tournament Club of Iowa to help children in need receive new shoes and other cold weather necessities! To register, call: 515-697-6793 Registration at 8am – Shot gun start at 9am. $100 per golfer (includes golf, cart, lunch and prizes)
• We’re very excited to announce that Shoes That Fit teams forming now for a fundraising Holiday Half Marathon and 5K Run/Walk at Pomona Fairplex (CA) December 14 and 15!
Here’s how to get started:
1. Start your registration by clicking on Shoes That Fit’s Donate Now page to submit your race entry fee: Discounted rate of $85 for the Half Marathon OR $30 for the 5K Run/Walk until Sept.15
2. Wait for your entry fee confirmation letter and email from Shoes That Fit which will include your special charity promo code.
3. Go to the Holiday Half Marathon website and register yourself for the race using your special charity promo code to indicate you’ve already submitted your fee.
4. Before the run, gather support from your family, friends and coworkers to sponsor you in this inaugural Shoes That Fit team. You will have access to your own fundraising page on MyCharityofChoice.com
If you have any questions about the race or starting your registration, please contact Barbara@shoesthatfit.org or call our office for details!
• Shoes That Fit is hiring! If you’d like to help children in need, possess professional fundraising experience and want to work part-time, please view the complete job description here for details.
Here’s a brief update on the latest greatest news from Shoes That Fit! Your support through events and fundraisers make it possible for us to reach children in need across the country. Thank You!
• Tickets are available now for the annual fundraiser Claremont Craft Beer Walk, otherwise known as ‘Blues & Brews.’ Stroll down the streets of downtown Claremont while listening to great bands & stopping in to any of 30 delightful shops designated as tasting sites to enjoy the many offerings of delicious appetizers and local craft beers!
• It’s never too early to think about fall fashions! Make room in your closet for those new pieces by donating your gently worn designer clothing, shoes and accessories to Fashion Project. Designate Shoes That Fit as your charity, Fashion Project makes your items available for sale through their website and then donates a portion of the proceeds back to Shoes That Fit! Added bonus: Nordstrom is offering a $40 gift card when you donate your items to support our charity!
• Are you a runner who cares about kids in need? Join the first-ever Shoes That Fit team for a Holiday Half Marathon or Holiday 5K in December at Pomona Fairplex (CA). Contact Barbara@shoesthatfit.org to join the fun!
There are many ways to support Shoes That Fit. Here are just a few reminders about some of them:
- Earn all summer long by naming Shoes That Fit as the charity you support with eScrip (Electronic Scrip)
- Donate your vehicle or boat (running or not) to Shoes That Fit through Cars4Causes
- When shopping at Amazon, use AmazonSmile and choose Shoes That Fit as your charity; a percentage of your purchase is donated to us
- Browse the internet using GoodSearch or shop online through GoodShop and a penny is donated each time you search. May not seem like a lot, but those pennies for Shoes That Fit add up quickly for something you’ll be doing anyway!
- Follow us on Facebook
- Find us on Twitter
- Watch us on YouTube
- Join us on LinkedIn
If you’re hosting a fundraiser or event in support of Shoes That Fit, please email Barbara@shoesthatfit the details so we can share the info with our visitors!
Thank you for taking time to catch up with all the latest news here at Shoes That Fit! As longtime supporter and recently appointed Executive Director Amy Fass smoothly transitions into her new role, our focus remains on continuing to expand our outreach efforts and establish new school programs in areas where the need is greatest. Your gift to Shoes That Fit helps makes this possible. Having compiled our most recent statistical data, here are just a few milestones reached in 2013:
• Shoes That Fit provided shoes at 1,854 schools in 45 states and the District of Columbia.
• More than 126,000 new shoes and other necessities were raised and distributed.
• Nordstrom and New Balance provided 20,000 new shoes through the Giving Tree campaign.
• DaVita’s nationwide "Shoes-a-palooza" Campaign raised over 13,000 new pairs of shoes
• We earned a fourth consecutive 4-STAR rating from Charity Navigator which is considered an "exceptional" charity designation.
• Rack Room Shoes provided new shoes for nearly 12,000 children in 24 states
If you’re considering spring cleaning, now you can clear out those closets and support the work of Shoes That Fit, too! Fashion Project is an exciting new way to donate your gently worn designer clothing, shoes and accessories. Choose Shoes That Fit as your designated charity and Fashion Project donates a portion of the sale of your items back to us! Visit their website today at www.FashionProject
Join our volunteers at Clark County Law Foundation for wine, appetizers and great conversations at their ‘Sippin for Shoes That Fit’ event May 6 at Echo and Rig Butcher & Steakhouse on Rampart Blvd., Las Vegas! Call Clark County Law Foundation at 702-333-8277 or purchase tickets online at: http://www.clarkcountylawfoundation.org/community-service/
Volunteers at Southern CA Edison-Irwindale’s IT Department collected 350 pairs of new athletic shoes in less than 1 month! The smiles on the faces of children who received them were electric!
Our corporate partners at DaVita, Inc. continue to amaze us with their enthusiasm for our program. They recently provided 944 pairs of new shoes to children in need in Orange County, CA!
The Village Marketing Group in Claremont, CA once again provided nearly 200 local schoolchildren with new shoes, socks and other goodies during their annual Spring For Shoes campaign. Special thanks to owner Mike of The Last Drop Café for coordinating this year’s event and to all participating merchants and community members who supported this effort.
Save The Date: June 28th 4pm-8pm Claremont Village Blues & Brews Craft Beer Walk (CA). This annual fundraiser always a sold-out event! Tickets Now On Sale! http://www.claremontbluesandbrews.com/
Roni Lomeli will be stepping down as executive director of Shoes That Fit at the end of January 2014. "Roni has been the award-winning leader and driving force behind Shoes That Fit's extraordinary success," said Shoes That Fit board member and former chair Ralph Shapira. With many accolades and awards bestowed upon her over the years, including her most recent Town & Country magazine and Longines watches’ prestigious "Women Who Make a Difference" award, Roni is credited for building Shoes That Fit into a national charity that has given over 1 million pairs of new shoes and other needed items to children in need in hundreds of communities and schools across America. Here is a message from Roni to all of our donors, volunteers and supporters.
Letter from the Executive Director
Dear Friends of Shoes That Fit,
It is with mixed emotions that I announce my retirement as the Executive Director for Shoes That Fit effective January 31, 2014. While I am happy to begin a new chapter of my life, I am saddened to leave the role that I have cherished and enjoyed for more than a decade. I’ve found that the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work and love doing it. It has certainly been rewarding to “make a difference” in so many children’s lives and to have the opportunity to meet and work with so many wonderful people who share our vision that every child deserves shoes that fit.
I learned that my role at Shoes That Fit was about creating lasting relationships with friends, volunteers and donors, bringing them into the Shoes That Fit family, and then watching as they came to realize that their support could change young lives forever.
I believe now is the right time for me to move on. I am leaving Shoes That Fit in solid position to continue making a difference for the children we serve. Last year’s milestone of having provided over one million pairs of shoes and other critical items to children in need was very poignant and something I will always cherish.
The Shoes That Fit Board of Directors has decided to appoint Amy Fass as my successor. I am very pleased with their decision as Amy brings a fresh perspective to the organization and will continue to further our mission. Amy is a longtime supporter of Shoes That Fit and she has been working with the organization as a consultant for the past year. Amy is committed to the mission of Shoes That Fit and shares the same passion and excitement for helping the children we serve.
Thank you for your support and friendship over the years. I will continue to be involved as a volunteer and supporter of Shoes That Fit forever. Shoes That Fit will always be near and dear to my heart.
Even though the holiday season is in full swing, there’s still plenty of time for you to help children in need through the Shoes That Fit program! Here are just a few ways you can give a meaningful gift that gives back to children in need across the U.S. this year.
- Nordstrom’s Holiday Giving Tree program runs through December 24th - We invite you to visit any Nordstrom or selected Nordstrom Rack in the U.S. to purchase a $10 tag that will help donate a new pair of New Balance athletic shoes to children in the local community through the Shoes That Fit program.
- Merchants in downtown Claremont Village (CA) hosting a Sock Walk through December. Donate a new package of socks for children in need & pick up a little something extra for yourself at any one of the unique Village shops. Click here for a complete list of drop-off locations.
- Help children in Newton, Marshalltown, Fort Dodge and Ames, IA by picking up a donor card with a child's name, age & shoe size, purchase the shoes & drop off at one of many drop-off locations. Our volunteers at OnMedia Ad Sales in Des Moines, IA will make sure children in need receive your donation of new shoes.
- Give a gift that gives back by shopping AmazonSmile and choosing Shoes That Fit as your charity before shopping. AmazonSmile Foundation donates 0.5% of your purchases to Shoes That Fit!
We love to hear from our supporters, so please contact us with any comments, questions or inspiring stories!
First and foremost, THANK YOU to everyone who voted for Shoes That Fit to help us win a $75,000 grant from DSW's Shoe Lovers Care contest on Facebook earlier this month!
Although we didn't win this grant, your support and dedication to Shoes That Fit and the children we serve is invaluable to us! Your 'Votes' and 'Shares' helped spread awareness about who we are and what we do for children across the U.S. Many of you told us you are not on Facebook but still asked 'How can I help?' We are truly grateful to you for forwarding our email requests for help to your friends, family & coworkers.
With the official start of summer came a mini-windfall of good news!
Fashion Footwear Association of New York (FFaNY) hosts the New York Shoe Expo, home to exhibitions of over 300 footwear manufacturers representing 800 fashion footwear brands. $20,000 was donated to us during their annual Industry Cocktail Party kicking off the shoe expo in early June
Irwindale Chamber of Commerce held a month long shoe drive and raffle drawing which resulted in $755, 26 pairs of shoes and a chance to win 'Beer For a Year' to adults making a monetary contribution through the Chamber, compliments of our fellow chamber member MillerCoors
$10,000 grant was awarded to us from our friends at Inland Empire United Way in support of our programs in Southern California
One of our California volunteers, Kathi Balousek, was honored for her committment to children as 'Outstanding Bay Area Catholic Woman' Congratulations, Kathi!
But wait! There's more! Coming soon are 'FUN'raisers throughout the Southland and beyond:
Claremont Blues & Brews Craft Beer Walk June 29th 4-8pm - Sample craft beer, good food, great live music throughout The Village. Advance tickets available!
Concerts Under the Stars is back again this year! July 13th & July 20th dates still available so call or email us today for tickets. 100% of your $55 donation goes directly to Shoes That Fit. The entire cost of this magical evening which includes appetizers, dinner, dessert and of course live entertainment is generously donated by the Hafif Family Foundation!
July 17th is the annual OnMedia Cable Ad Sales golf tournament in support of the Des Moines, IA chapter of Shoes That Fit!
Scheels Shoes That Fit 10K Run/Walk August 24th, West Des MOines, IA - Registration now open
Last but not least, if you know of an event to benefit any of our Shoes That Fit chapters across the country, please contact us with the info so we can share with our supporters!
Many of us will choose to go barefoot this summer, but many children in need will have no choice. Thank you for believing as we do, that every child deserves shoes that fit!
With the unofficial kick-off to summer just a few days away, we wanted to update you on all the wonderful things our supporters are doing in the coming months to continue helping children in need receive new shoes. Many of our volunteer chapters around the country have been working tirelessly throughout the school year to ensure that children attend school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play. With summer fast approaching, many of these same students will attend summer school and even begin the new school year in the fall wearing the same shoes they are wearing right now! Many of our supporters ask, 'What can I do to help?' Here are some simple and fun ways you can contribute to Shoes That Fit so mark your calendars now!
Irwindale Chamber of Commerce hosting a shoe drive through June 13th. Each donation of a new pair of athletic shoes or $20 gift through the Chamber enters you in a drawing to win 'Beer For A Year' compliments of MillerCoors!
Online shopping through GoodSearch - It’s easy. Just pick a cause you care about (hopefully, Shoes That Fit!) Then, as you go about your daily online activities like searching or shopping, you’ll be raising money for our cause – at no cost to you!
Join us in the Claremont Village (CA) June 29th for 'Blues & Brews' Craft Beer Walk & enjoy live music & delicious food at over 30 Village businesses! A portion of the proceeds from this event benefit Shoes That Fit!
The Hafif Family Foundation is once again hosting a series of Concerts Under the Stars & generously absorbing the entire cost of the event, leaving 100% of each $55 ticket donation to Shoes That Fit when purchased through us! Dates are: July 13, July 20 & August 10 - appetizers, dinner, drinks & live music on the breathtaking grounds of the Hafif Estate.
If you're a runner, register for the annual Scheels Shoes That Fit 10K taking place August 24th in West Des Moines, IA. $5 of each registration fee donated to our volunteer chapter at OnMedia Ad Sales!
Are you hosting any parties this summer? Consider a party with a purpose - invite your guests to support Shoes That Fit by bringing a new pair of athletic shoes to donate to our emergency warehouse in CA or make a small contribution safely & securely online in honor of the host (that's you!)
Coming soon: we are a finalist in DSW Shoe Lovers Care program, Leave Your Mark! You can help Shoes That Fit win $75,000 beginning June 6 through June 19! Simply vote for Shoes That Fit on DSW's Facebook page & share the news with your Facebook friends. Every vote counts!
There are many ways for you to keep in touch with all the goings on at Shoes That Fit; Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, sign up for eNews or follow us on LinkedIn.
Thank you for believing as we do that every child deserves shoes that fit.
A new campaign launched on Modern Woodmen of America's facebook page will benefit Shoes That Fit with a donation up to $10,000! Modern Woodmen, a fraternal financial services organization since 1893, will donate $1 to Shoes That Fit for every new 'LIKE' they receive on their fan page. The goal is to reach 10,000 fans by the end of 2012.
"This campaign ties closely to the mission of Modern Woodmen - to improve quality of life for members and communities," said Kim Woodward, Corporate Communications. "As a fraternal financial services organization, our members across the country work to improve communities and help people. Donating to Shoes That Fit is an online version of these fraternal programs!"
If you've been wanting to help children in need through Shoes That Fit, here's your chance. It only takes a minute and costs you the click of your mouse.
Here's what you can do: Visit Modern Woodmen of America's facebook page and click the tab that says 'LIKE Shoes That Fit' then click the 'LIKE' button. That's it!
You can also help by spreading the word about this campaign to your facebook friends to help us reach the $10,000 goal. Help children in need receive new shoes through Shoes That Fit with a simple click of your mouse! What could be easier? Thank You for believing as we do that every child deserves shoes that fit.
Happy Holidays from the Shoes That Fit staff! As this year comes to an end, we wanted to say Thank You to all our volunteers, donors & school liaisons for their unwavering support of our mission to provide new shoes to children in need who wouldn't otherwise have them. Your support allows these deserving children to attend school in comfort and with dignity. As we head into 2012, we look forward to our 20 Year Anniversary which we will celebrate in April & to the donation of our 1 Millionth pair of shoes! We hope you'll continue to rally around the important work being done through our programs across the U.S. and look forward to another exciting year at Shoes That Fit!
Roni, Michelle, Lee and Barbara
With temperatures soaring here in Southern California, we are pleased to announce the number of new shoes given to children through Shoes That Fit programs is also soaring! Our program manager Lee Kane has been compiling statistics from our volunteers across the country and we are inching closer to the donation of our 1 millionth pair of shoes! As of today, Shoes That Fit has donated 989,636 pairs of new shoes & other items to children in need. Our programs are in over 1,900 schools across 40 states and growing! We will definitely be celebrating this milestone at our Sneaker Ball in April 2012!
Concerts Under the Stars fundraiser will begin July 30th & continue on August 6th & August 13th. 100% of your $55 donation goes to Shoes That Fit thanks to the Hafif Family Foundation who underwrites the entire cost of the event! Where else can you enjoy appetizers, dinner, dessert & live entertainment in a beautiful 150 acre estate nestled in the foothills of La Verne, CA?
MillerCoors will be sponsoring a shoe drive July 25th-August 8th at their Irwindale, CA facility. They have already helped children in need through their partnership with Shoes That Fit & the Irwindale Chamber of Commerce!
There are many ways you can keep up with Shoes That Fit:
With National Running Day on June 1st, the New York Road Runners Club has generously decided to raise funds for Shoes That Fit! You can participate in one of two ways:
1) Go for a jog on June 1st and stop at a charity check-in point. When you do, National Running Day partners will donate $1 to Shoes That Fit
2) Be part of the fundraising team by donating directly through the National Running Day Crowdrise page, created by New York Road Runners Club.
New York Road Runners youth programs promote children's fitness, character development, and personal achievement by bringing free and low-cost running programs to schools and community centers across the country.
Shoes That Fit is getting closer to reaching our goal of providing 1 million pairs of shoes to kids in need thanks, in part, to Rack Room Shoes!
Since Shoes That Fit partnered with Rack Room Shoe Stores during the fall of 2007, nearly 63,000 pairs of new shoes have been provided to children in need through Rack Room's volunteer efforts. All 390 stores across 26 states have been involved in raising funds to support the Shoes That Fit program in the communities each store serves. Here's just a sample of the many letters of appreciation received from a Principal at one the many schools helped by Rack Room:
"After the new shoes were distributed, a young girl came to me and gave me her empty shoe box. I asked her how she enjoyed her new shoes and a big smile came across her face. As she sat down, I tossed the box into a nearby recycling container. Fifteen minutes or so later I saw her with the box again as she walked into classroom. When I asked her if there was something in the box that she needed, she shared with me that she wanted to keep the box. She had never received a new pair of shoes before and had no idea that new shoes came in boxes. That box was truly special to her...keep up the good work. You are making a difference in the lives of children."
The holidays are here again. Bright lights, homemade cookies and the warmth of family and friends make us grateful for all we have. But not everyone is having a happy holiday this year. Today, more than ever, there are families who need your help. Shoes are one of the most expensive necessities parents or guardians must provide for their children and if a family has to choose between food on the table or replacing their children's worn and ripped shoes, the stomachs usually win.
You, our generous contributors and Shoes That Fit volunteers are making a difference for these children every day. By helping even just a few kids, you are easing the burden on your entire community. Times are hard and you are going above and beyond to make things better in your own backyard. It's not too late to help a child in need this holiday season.
Thank You for all you do through Shoes That Fit. I wish you a warm and wonderful holiday season and all the best in the new year.
As we head into this holiday season, Shoes That Fit is thankful for all of our wonderful contributors and volunteers! Thousands of children across the country are given hope through the simple gift of a new pair of shoes and YOU make that possible.
There are many easy ways you can continue to help kids in need while preparing for the holidays. Here are just a few ideas to get you started…
· While shopping at ANY Nordstrom store across the U.S., pick a gift tag from the “Giving Tree” to help a local child receive a new pair of New Balance shoes.
· For each $50 donation in honor of someone, we will send one plain wrapped empty shoe box to your loved one with a note from you explaining that the box is empty because shoes were given to a child in need in their name. Also included will be a thank you note we received from a child helped by Shoes That Fit.
· Your little one will be thrilled with the story of “Flip Flop Flo, the Know-It-All” written by Gloria Barone Rosanio. Sales of this wonderful children’s book benefit Shoes That Fit!
· Vons & Safeway grocery stores throughout California now carry Causes Gift Cards! This card allows you to give the gift of giving; whomever you give them to can make a donation to any non-profit in the U.S. including Shoes That Fit! (purchase of the gift card is tax deductible).
· Instead of the usual workplace gift exchange or “secret Santa”, ask your coworkers to purchase a new pair of athletic shoes or make a small donation to Shoes That Fit.
Help us celebrate our 20th Anniversary and 1 million pairs of shoes!
Can you believe it? Shoes That Fit has been providing new shoes to children in need across the U.S. since 1992! As we approach our 20th anniversary & donation of our 1 millionth pair of shoes, we look to you, our loyal contributors for inspiration.
We will be celebrating these milestones in April 2012 and we need your help in giving our gala a name. Please submit your idea for our event name which best describes both our 20th anniversary & the milestone of providing our 1 millionth pair of shoes.
The winning entry will receive 2 free tickets to our gala!
Please submit your entry by November 30th, 2010 to email@example.com with the subject line “Name Our Gala”
Shoes That Fit chapters across the country (35 states, to be exact) are gearing up for the fall season of helping children in need receive new shoes for school. We are so excited about all the children attending school in comfort and with dignity because of our volunteer force and generous community members like YOU!
- Here in our Emergency Warehouse, we received over 250 pairs of new shoes from our friends at California Sporting Goods Association, the non-profit arm of Division Six Sports and Forde-McGovern & Associates.
- Village Marketing Group helped 400 children return to school with new shoes, socks, backpacks & school supplies!
Don't miss these upcoming events:
- Ruby's Diner in Newport Beach, CA will hold a Shoes That Fit "Fun"Raiser Friday, Sept.24th, 7am-10pm. They will donate 20% of all food sales to us when you present this flyer!
- Justice Jog 2010 in Century City, CA Sunday, Oct. 17, 8am-10:30am Support Shoes That Fit through this 5K Walk/Run hosted by Greater Los Angeles Association of Legal Administrators. More info & registration at glaala.org!
Blues & Brews is a new fundraiser happening in the Claremont Village July 3rd! For only $30 (advance ticket purchase), you can stroll in to over 25 businesses hosting beer tasting from local artisans throughout the Village and listen to some blues and jazz bands, too! Shoes That Fit staff, myself included, will be on hand to greet you at the check-in station at the Train Depot. Come on by & say “Hi”. You’ll be helping Shoes That Fit help kids in need and we'd love to meet you, our generous supporters. See you in the Village!
Remember those warm spring afternoons sitting in front of your home with a
folding table, a few chairs and your friends flagging neighbors down, trying
to interest them in an ice cold glass of fresh squeezed lemonade for only 25
Now you can relive those fun filled afternoons and help children in need simply by hosting a lemonade stand during Big Sunday weekend May 1-2! Big Sunday is an annual community building event when volunteers of every age and from every walk of life work together throughout California to help others.
This year, Shoes That Fit has been chosen to be one of five charity beneficiaries of the 4th Annual When Life Gives You Lemons Make a Lemonade Stand project. Beginning April 1, you can sign up online by clicking "Project Sign Up" or contact the Big Sunday Lemonade Stand Coordinator Melissa Toy Ozeas.
What could be an easier or more fun way to help a child in need? After all, doesn't every child deserve shoes that fit?
1420 N. Claremont Blvd.Suite 204A, Claremont, CA 91711
Toll Free: (888) 715-4333 Phone#: (909) 482-0050 Fax: (909) 482-0085